02 August 2012

Cross Post...though I am not cross

This is a modified repost of a comment I made on  the  Sapore de cina blog post about Remembering Simplified Hanzi and hanzi learning methods.  It is now more of an update on my way of learning hanzi. 
I use SRS for learning I tried Anki and didn’t like it. I now use Skritter and much prefer it. I like the tracking that it offers, the reminders, the interface, ease of use, user created mnemonics, gamification  and other features of Skritter.  I do use the iPad app for too. 
When I first start learning a set of characters or vocabulary I use Quizlet.  This online learning program keeps getting better and better with updates. I subscribe to this site. However, most of the site feels altruistic as much of it is free. It is also easy to set up cards and use them. Very portable too. 
As I am enrolled in a Uni. course we learn about one lesson of New Practical Chinese Reader: Textbook Vol.3 every two weeks. So this keeps me moving and I still try to only learn what I am going to use. Though this does not always work and I occasionally have to go back learn something that I would not use outside of the text or course work.  Still I am finding NPCR 3 more interesting than NPCR 2. 
I also print character sheets for the rare occasions I don’t have a computer or iPad to do study online. I have not hand written sheets recently as I find Skritter is enough.  I hope those stats that I get feedback are accurate and not just massaging my ego. 
I do have a large collection of Chinese course texts, Chinese Grammar books and Hanzi books. I prefer ebooks now. Because of the portability. Easy to look up things too. I am always on the lookout for new eBooks about Chinese language, grammar and learning if anyone has any recommendation I would like to hear them. 
he  comments and explanation of  Remembering Simplified Hanzi on the Sapore de cina blog reminded me of another text book for learning hanzi. There is a book from called  Tuttle Learning Chinese Characters. It has a method of mnemonics that differs to any other text that I have read. I quite like this method but do not use the text often. While I do like the book I don't have much time to work from another book outside of my Uni's set texts.  

These hanzi books will not suit everyone. There are a few negative posts around the Net on both of these books as the methods are not very 'pure' both rely on author made up mnemonics.  These mnemonics differ very much from traditional methods of hanzi learning. Yet both books have some merit and would suit some learners. I think it best to keep an open mind about learning Chinese methodology.  I do not think that one method is necessarily better than others. Horses for courses.  What do you think?

The three books in this post.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contibution

Blogger Widgets