03 October 2011

Tatoeba Project


I found this site by accident. It is an interesting site where the aim is to collect sentences translated into several languages. Tatoeba in Japanese means “for example”. According to the Stats page there are now 94 languages. There are 1097953 sentences in total. English has over 200000 sentences and Chinese Mandarin has 32000. The search engine for the site is excellent. For my learning I am able to search in Chinese and English simultaneously. I can filter, add to favourites, add to lists and find random sentences. There is an excellent forum and discussion in many languages. It is possible to join the site, contribute and stay informed on the translations. The sentences seem to moderated by native speakers so there is validity and authenticity for the project. You can even adopt “orphan” sentences. I found this very useful to supplement my course textbook. So I think the Tatoeba Project is an excellent learning / teaching community.  

Tatoeba Project Example

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contibution

Blogger Widgets